Sunday, February 20, 2011

Another from the book

This recipe is a bit long. It doesn't take a really LONG time to make, but the instructions are just...long. This is where an editor would be helpful. But since this is just a blog, who cares.
I made this at Kim and Lee's wedding in 2008 (my sister and brother-in-law). I didn't have a name for it when I made it. After I put it all together, my mother-in-law, Sam says to me "Well, I had something in Belize that looked like that and it was called a Granache." So the whole rest of the time she called them Tuna Granaches and I went with it. Sam was one of my biggest fans. She always loved everything I made her. If she didn't, I never knew - that's how great she was. But this recipe, I know she liked. And Kim and Lee love this one too. I made it for them the last time I visited them in Florida. Try it out, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!


Tuna Granaches

1 lb Sushi Grade Tuna, cut into cubes
1 mango, cubed
2 avacados, cubed
The juice of one lemon
2 tbls chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
Dash of salt and pepper (or to taste)
1 cup shredded Queso Fresco

Cube the tuna, mango and avacado and put in a mixing bow. Add cilantro, garlic and shallot and squeeze the juice of one lemon over all ingredients and mix lightly. Add a dash of salt and pepper and Set aside

Wasabi Sauce:

2 tbls Wasabi (I used the variety that comes in a tube)
The juice of one lime
1/2 cup Mexican Crema

In a small mixing bowl whisk wasabi, lime juice and Crema and set aside

Tortillas:

You have to get Masa Corn Flour and just follow the instructions on the package to make toritillas (it's easy as pie)

1 cup Masa Flour
2/3 cup water
pinch of salt

Combine the masa flour, salt and water. Mix thoroughly until it forms into a soft dough. If it feels dry, add more water (one tablespoon at a time).
Divide dough into 12 equal, small balls (the tortillas need to be small about 3").
Line a tortilla press with two sheets of plastic wrap. Place each ball between plastic and press until tortilla measures to 3" in diameter. Carefully peel from plastic wrap.

Heat and ungreased skillet or griddle on medium-high heat. Cook tortillas one at a time for 50 sec and then turn and cook another 50 sec. Set tortillas aside to cool.

When tortillas are cooled add vegetable oil to just cover the bottom of a small frying pan. Heat the oil to about 350 degrees. Place the tortilla, one at a time, in the oil and fry for about 1min. and carefully turn it over to fry for another min.

Putting everything together:

Place tortillas on a serving dish. Add 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on top of the tortilla. Next, sprinkle queso fresco over the tuna and then drizzle the wasabi sauce.

Makes 12 little granaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment