Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cooking from Recipes: Hayley's Skirt Steak Tacos

Hayley's Skirt Steak Tacos
I wanted to make something that was fast and easy and to me, tacos are always fast and easy. This recipe comes from, again, "Practical Paleo" by Diane Sanfilippo. The recipe is named after Hayley Mason, co-author of "Make it Paleo"  - which I have not read. 

In true Michelle fashion, I made a slight alteration to the original recipe. I just needed an extra kick. Others may or may not agree, but the alteration is optional and I like it. I like it spicy! The recipe also calls for butter lettuce. As you probably can tell from the photo, I did not use butter lettuce. Truth be told, I forgot the butter lettuce when I went grocery shopping. I had romaine lettuce and it worked great! However, for Damon...I gave him corn tortillas. He's not big on lettuce as the taco shell. He's a guy and I don't blame him. He did like it though and ate all the extra steak. In the end, it's tacos and you can add or subtract anything you want from it and you can top it with what ever you want! But if you are on the Paleo Diet...no cheese, no sour cream. Me? I had both!

Hayley's Skirt Steak Tacos
Juice and Zest of one lime
1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced (I love garlic, so I used 3)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (plus 1/2 teaspoon cumin, optional)
1 small jalapeno finely minced (also optional)
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
1-1/2lb skirt steak
1 head bib, butter, or Boston lettuce

Gently separate the leaves of lettuce and rinse them off. Set them aside to dry.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, garlic, and chili powder (and the optionals if you are going there). Place the skirt steak in the bowl and massage the seasonings into it. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Grill for approximately 3 minutes per side. Set the cooked steak aside to rest for 10 minutes, then slice against the grain into small strips. You may want to divide the skirt steak into two or three sections before slicing, as it is typically very long.

Serve the steak, and whatever topper you are going with, in your lettuce leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment